Friday, December 09, 2005

A little help here?

Okay. I've been doing my best online to find more work... but not really coming up with anything. Gotta pay the bills, and prefer not to be boxed into an office again if I can avoid it, since the kids like for me to be available for rides & such. (And I like to do it, so at least I can touch base with them here and there)

I'm going to start seeking some local business offline, but would like some suggestions from other business people how best to go about this. I've created brochures and business cards... but they're not coming out very nice on my home printer. So I'm going to have to go to the expense of having them printed professionally. Since this is a serious investment in my future, I don't want to waste it. I'll have a limited number to pass around to the public, and I want to make sure I choose wisely where they go.

Should I give them only to the businesses I'm most interested in designing sites for? Or should I look at local websites online, and go visit their owners in person to discuss how a redesign would improve their bottom line? OR should I look in the phone book or walk around to local businesses to find out who DOES NOT have a website... and might want/need one? Or... all of the above? A little bit of each? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I haven't priced my print jobs yet... but the budget will most definitely be tight. However, I feel this is a move that I must make if I don't want to be forced back into another nightmare commuting situation or the like. I do hope I'll get a comment or two on this one that provides a bit of food for further thought!

1 comment:

Sister Sunshine said...

Ridesharing makes a big difference.