Friday, January 28, 2005

PUT IT IN THE AD, DAMMIT!

Okay. I'm not a sore loser... in fact, I think the girl who beat me and got the job is an excellent choice. She is very calm, cool and collected... as well as extremely confident. All of which will most definitely serve her well in the position she has won. However, I was told that the primary factor in choosing her over me was the fact that she's bilingual and I'm not. Fine.

BUT...

If you want someone bilingual for a position, PLEASE state it in the ad, so us poor shlubs who only speak one language won't waste our time applying for the job... and won't flatter ourselves by THINKING you might actually want to hire us.

When I worked in the Career Services Department at school, I posted jobs on the school's website for the students. Since I know how annoying it is to look at an ad, only to find "must be bilingual" buried toward the end somewhere, I got in the habit of putting it in the job title... so that those who were NOT bilingual would not even bother to look at that one. (In other words, instead of reading "receptionist" it would read "bilingual receptionist")

Oh well. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. And I was SO close! They narrowed it down to two of us... so I guess I should feel pretty good that they liked me that much. But with no paycheck and mounting bills, that's not much consolation. Gosh... I wish someone would click my paypal link and send me EVEN ONE LOUSY DOLLAR!

Okay. I'm off my pity pot now. Sigh.

No comments: