Monday, September 13, 2004

Being a good mom

I've decided to put off getting a job or going back to school for now and concentrate on finding my son a new job first. He wants to return to school, and I want him to do so... but the company he's working for sends him out of town on a regular basis, which would not be conducive to school attendance. He prefers on-campus classes to online studies, because he's a very "hands-on" type learner and wants to have an instructor there to show him how to do things when he's not clear on what he's supposed to do... and I agree with him. So until I get him into a job which won't require travel, I'm not going to try to decide what to do for myself.

Hopefully if I dedicate myself to finding him a job, it won't take more than a week or two, maybe a month... because the clock is ticking and I really want him to get enrolled in school to continue his education ASAP. Wish us luck!
: )

6 comments:

Mike Da Hat said...

I don't want to state the bleedin' obvious but can't the boy find his own job? I mean total respect for putting your own life on the back burner, but as an employer, I'd be looking for someone who had the drive to find his own job. I wouldn't be too quick to employ someone who still had to rely on his mother to find a job. Full marks for caring but........ perhaps I haven't got the whole story.

Sister Sunshine said...

Complaints are okay. So are questions. Mike... the reason I'M looking FOR him is because he's employed full time which makes it harder for him to spend the time looking for the perfect job. Also, I worked in the Career Center at the college we both attended, so I know exactly what to look for to fit his particular qualifications, possibly better than he does himself, as he's only 18. Finally, I want him to find a better job, perhaps more than he, himself does. Chiefly because I want him to continue his education while he's young and unencumbered... which he can't do while working for a company that keeps sending him out of town.
: )

Unknown said...

I think your doing a great thing by giving up your own ambitions to help someone else. I hope it works out for you. Once things are sorted out for your son, are you still going with the graphics course?

Raj

Sister Sunshine said...

Thanks, Raj.

That still remains to be seen. I'm completing a FAFSA form (eligibility for funding) and will see where I can go based on the assistance I qualify for. But if something else turns up in the meantime, perhaps not.

I met a local guy on Yahoo Messenger yesterday, and went to see him in person today. He may be able to assist me in learning a lot of what interests me (audio/video production, some graphics stuff) without having to take all that gen. ed. stuff, and PAY for it. I can assist him with what he wants: a Flash interface for his website... so it's not like I'd be getting something for nothing. Who knows?

At the very least, I'd like to avoid leaving home for 8 or more hours a day, (and I'm not really the "9 to 5" type, anyway) as I have a 3 year old who is very rambunctious, and I really don't want to put her in daycare. I do need to do something to generate income at some point, though... so I'm still mulling it all over.

It's good to hear from you. I've been visiting your site daily, watching for updates...

Unknown said...

yeah ive been busy lately, so i have not had time to post, but keep checking ill post soon.

Raj

Sister Sunshine said...

LOL... I JUST got done checking... right before I read this!
; )